Servicing & RepairsBeing one of the largest moving objects in your home, the garage door requires regular servicing and maintenance.
Garage Door Service & Repair
Being one of the largest moving objects in your home, the garage door requires regular servicing and maintenance.
It might surprise you, but a garage door and opener will benefit from a yearly service just like your car.
A recent poll on this site suggests most don’t with 80% never organising a service!
Simply use the form below or phone us directly to organise a repair or preventative service call today!
We’ll be in touch.
Service Request Details
Phone: +64 9 274 2220
Fax: +64 9 271 1820
1 Zelanian Drive,
8:00am – 4:30pm Mon – Thurs
8:00am – 4:00pm Fri
We know Garage Doors so let us help you. We are proud to be part of one of the largest and longest serving Garage Door Dealer networks in New Zealand.
We provide a vast range of products and services with the knowledge and experience to ensure you get the right garage door and/or opener for you.
Regular Maintenance Required
Note: If correct maintenance and servicing are not carried out, warranty may be void.
Garador recommends that you check the operation of your garage door at least every three to six months (more regularly in extreme environments or frequent use). The effort required to manually open and to manually close thegarage door should be about the same (if door has an automatic opener, put into manual mode before testing garage door).
Lubrication (every 3-6 months)
- Guide Tracks: (Rolling Garage Doors) Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits. Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface, allowing the Nylofelt to glide more easily. DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL ON THE GUIDE TRACKS.
(Sectional Garage Doors) Should be cleaned as per rolling door instructions, but do not required polishing of the internal guide tracks.
- Steel Hinges: (If fitted). Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil. Also lubricate wheel to axle bearings.
- Plastic Hinges: No lubrication is generally required, however silicon spray may be used if necessary.
- Springs: (Where accessible). Wipe over with an oily rag.
- Locks: Your lock does not require special maintenance, however if the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended. Do not grease the lock.
- Automatic Garage Door Openers: If you have an automatic opener fitted to your garage door it is important that you ensure the optimum operation of your door, otherwise you may reduce the effective life of the opener, and void your opener warranty. For more information refer to the maintenance schedule in your garage door opener’s instruction handbook.
- Opener Chain: Lubricate with Chain Lube.
Service and Repair
- Lifting Cables: (If fitted). Check for wear through by rubbing. If there is fraying or signs of corrosion contact your local approved Garador dealer. These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by fully trained Garador Dealers.
- Fasteners: Check all screws, nuts and bolts to ensure they are secure.
- Spring Tension: It is natural for springs to lose tension. Should the door become hard to operate or completely inoperative, contact your local Garador office, or call the Garador dealer who installed your door.
To keep your garage door running well, it is recommended that your door be serviced by an experienced technician, every 12 months or earlier if required.
Contact Garador for more advice on servicing.
DO NOT PLACE YOUR FINGERS NEAR ANY MOVING PARTS OR BETWEEN THE GARAGE DOOR PANELS WHEN THE DOOR IS OPERATING EITHER AUTOMATICALLY OR MANUALLY.