Being one of the largest moving objects in your home, the garage door requires regular servicing and maintenance. Garador Auckland can help.
It might surprise you, but a garage door and opener will benefit from a yearly service just like your car. A recent poll on this site suggests most people don’t know this, with 80% never organising a service.
Click the button below or call us on 64 9 886 5296 to organise a repair or preventative service for your garage door today.
Garage Doors Require Regular Maintenance
Garador recommends that you check the operation of your garage door at least every three to six months (more regularly in extreme environments or frequent use). The effort required to manually open and to manually close the garage door should be about the same (if the door has an automatic opener, put into manual mode before testing garage door).
Lubrication Required Every 3-6 Months
- Guide Tracks: (Rolling Garage Doors)Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits. Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface, allowing the Nylofelt to glide more easily. DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL ON THE GUIDE TRACKS.
- Sectional Garage Doors should be cleaned as per rolling door instructions, but do not polish the internal guide tracks.
- Steel Hinges (fitted): Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil. Also lubricate wheel to axle bearings.
- Plastic Hinges: No lubrication is generally required, however silicon spray may be used if necessary.
- Springs: (Where accessible). Wipe over with an oily rag.
- Locks: Your lock does not require special maintenance, however if the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended. Do not grease the lock.
- Automatic Garage Door Openers: If you have an automatic opener fitted to your garage door it is important that you ensure the optimum operation of your door, otherwise you may reduce the effective life of the opener, and void your opener warranty. For more information refer to the maintenance schedule in your garage door opener’s instruction handbook.
- Opener Chain: Lubricate with Chain Lube.